'You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.' ~ Paul Sweeney

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Midnight Sun - Stephenie Meyer


Midnight Sun
Publication date: August 4, 2020
Available in: Hardcover, E Book, Audiobook
 
 
 
I know I'm not the only one who has been waiting 13 years for this to finally get published. This could have been a huge disappointment or an absolute disaster...

How do I love Edward Cullen as a character even more than I did before? There's something about not knowing what was happening inside his head that made the pull to him that much deeper. With Midnight Sun, I felt like I was tethered to Edward, his worries and fears became my own. His heartbreak and his concern for others, especially for Bella's soul, it resonated with me.

Thank you, Stephenie, for pushing past the anger of the draft being leaked and sitting down to finish and perfect Midnight Sun

Edward really is such a tortured character, and the weight of his thoughts, his actions, his words,  they bear down on him throughout the Twilight Saga. It was subtle in the original series, and it was hinted at again with the movies, but to finally, FINALLY read all of the chaos and turmoil inside him was captivating.

Not only did we get such a personal view of Edward, Midnight Sun brought us even closer to the rest of the Cullens. The questions Twihards have been asking for years have (mostly) been explored in detail with the publication of Midnight Sun, and scenes only hinted at in previous books were finally explained. The reveal of Jasper and his powers...I literally gasped. 

Additionally, if you get the opportunity, I HIGHLY suggest getting the audiobook version, narrated to absolute perfection by Jake Abel (Supernatural, The Host, Jake and Quarantine). If you listen to it WHILE reading along, it's almost like Edward is reading his life story to you personally.


And while this book may have satisfied the Twihard in me after 13 years of dying to know what Edward was thinking and feeling, I can't help but hope that Stephenie will gift us with Edward's perspective for the rest of the books as well. Here's hoping the two new books she says she plans on releasing (one of which has been confirmed will focus on Renesmee) include a closer look at Alice and Jasper!

No comments:

Post a Comment