'You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.' ~ Paul Sweeney

Thursday, June 13, 2013

I can't believe it's been nearly a year since I posted anything on my book review blog!  If you know me at all, you know that writing is a passion, as is reading almost any book I can get my hands on.  The last year has been a rough one for me personally as I juggled a full time job, a full college course load, and the death of my grandmother.  I know anyone who has had to experience any of these things will understand why my little blog has been left alone so long. 

My plate will never be empty, as I still must work for a living and am only a little over halfway through my Bachelor's degree program, but I try to make as much time as I can for things I am passionate about.  I still run my fan forum and connected social media sites for my favorite actor, Nathan Fillion, and I also continue to run the social media sites for my other fan forum for Jeffrey Dean Morgan.  And while it seems my life could do with a little less stress and responsibility, I have taken on a few other projects because they are such good opportunities for my ultimate goal that it would just be idiotic not to snatch them up as they float past me.

What are these opportunities?  Glad you asked!  I am still reviewing books of all genres for a wonderful site called Novels Alive, I occasionally do a review for a company called Knox Robinson Publishing, and I recently applied for an unpaid internship for a little site you may have heard of that revolves around the world of Harry Potter called Mugglenet.  I honestly didn't think I would get the intern position simply because of the sheer massiveness of the site and how popular it is for HP fans.  There are people who would probably literally kill to get a job with Mugglenet.  I just found out today that my application and writing examples were considered and found to be kick-ass enough that they offered me a position! 

I have to thank everyone who has supported me, in big ways and small - it means the world to me to have you all happy for me and encouraging me, even when you know I probably don't have time to add another thing to my already full plate.  This internship could mean big things for me if I play my cards right and do a good job, so I am adding it to my list of things to do and will do so with pleasure.

Now, enough explaining where the hell I've been and why the blog has been treated like a red-headed step-child.  On to the reviews!

Wealthy By Design
Author: Kimberly Foss
Published by: Greenleaf Book Group Press
Publication Date: June 18, 2013

 Available on Amazon in Hardcover

Wealthy By Design by Kimberly Foss is a thought-provoking read.  With her knowledge of the industry, she knows all the right questions to ask of her clients to help them make the most of their investments and shares them in this self-help guide to building wealth.

“Drawing upon her twenty-six years of experience as president and founder of Empyrion Wealth Management, where she advises clients of all financial backgrounds and life situations, and her own rise from humble beginnings, Kimberly offers powerful and enlightening stories. Through them, you will learn how to leverage personality, situation, and belief and apply proven wealth-building strategies to fulfill your needs and dreams.”

Foss uses personal experiences with her clients to demonstrate different goals and levels of commitment that any reader can relate to. This book, however, does not appear to be for someone who is just starting out in the investment world. There are many terms used by Foss during her anecdotes and examples, but no real explanation of those terms for those who are unfamiliar with them.  However unfamiliar these industry insider terms are, any reader can take away the feeling of hope in preparing for their future and having the power to control their money so that all dreams and goals can be achieved.  Foss empowers her readers, giving sound, practical advice to take into consideration before moving forward with any investment decisions.



The Libra Affair
Author: Daco
Published by: Crimson Romance
Publication Date: April 8, 2013



 Available on Amazon Kindle

With a plot akin to hit silver screen action thrillers, Daco jumps into the deep end of an international spy love story with her romantic suspense, The Libra Affair.

Daco wastes no time getting right to the point, leaving all character build-up and background to be expertly disbursed among the action and instead choosing to thrust the reader directly into the complicated life of CIA operative and double agent Jordan Jakes.

Jordan must give up the man she falls in love with in order to finish the job she started with the CIA to pull off a global political power play.  With her life, and Ben’s, on the line, Jordan has to switch gears when Ben refuses to accept the end of their relationship and follows her to the Middle East where he unwittingly entangles himself in Jordan’s secret and dangerous life.

“Surviving takes more than being one step ahead of their enemies.  Jordan and Ben must peel back the layers of their emotional armor to overcome a series of obstacles before they can accomplish Jordan’s mission. If they have any hope of making it out of the Middle East alive and forming a lasting relationship, they must surrender to love.”
 
The entire read was entertaining and fast-paced.  There were no slow builds or moments where my attention span wandered.  While full of what I assume is common “spy-speak”, the terms and phrases were explained immediately and in a way that did not distract me from the story but instead drew me further into Jordan’s world and all the danger it holds.  This is actually my first suspense novel, and I find, paired with romance, it’s a genre I could be fan of, as long as Daco is writing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment